Tuesday, March 14, 2006

"I thirst"

In John's Gospel, Christ proclaims, "I thirst" from atop the Cross. The soldiers mistakenly thought that meant he was thirsty. But, when we look at Psalm 42 "As the deer longs for running streams, so my soul longs for you my God."

When reading through Psalm 42, you can clearly see that as Christ said, "I thirst," he must have remembered Psalm 42. Just read through the Psalm. You'll see that Christ is in agony on the Cross. "Eloi Eloi..." In the same manner, Psalm 42 speaks of a man "My soul is downcast within me." It is so wonderful to think that even in this time of agony, Christ was understanding that the Father's will was being completed. He was acknowledging that God didn't want this cup to pass but that He was to take it up and offer it back to the Father.

In this time of Lent, read through Psalm 42, and think about the Passion. It might just help answer that question of why would Jesus cry out to God in "despair"? Anyone who asks that questions obviously didn't remember to read the rest of Scripture in an effort to understand the Gospels better.

No comments: